- +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma. Vanaras are agile and insightful, but are also rather mischievous.
- Vanara: Vanaras are humanoids with the vanara subtype.
- Medium: Vanaras are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Vanaras have a base speed of 30 feet and a Climb speed of 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A vanara can see twice as far as a human in dim light.
- Nimble: Vanaras have a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Stealth checks.
- Prehensile Tail: A vanara has a long, flexible tail that she can use to carry objects. She cannot wield weapons with her tail, but the tail allows her to retrieve a small, stowed object carried on her person as a swift action.
- Languages: Vanaras begin play speaking Common and Vanaran. Vanaras with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aklo, Celestial, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Sylvan.
Random Starting Age
Random Starting Height & Weight
|Gender ||Base Height ||Height Modifier ||Base Weight ||Weight Modifier|
||4 ft. 8 in.
||4 ft. 2 in.
Vanaras are intelligent, monkeylike humanoids that live in deep, warm forests
and lush jungles. A vanara's body is covered in a thin coat of soft fur, and
individuals with chestnut, ivory, and even golden coats are common. Despite
their fur, vanaras can grow lengthy hair on their head just as humans can,
and both male and female vanaras take pains to wear elaborate hairstyles for
important social functions. The hair on a vanara's head matches the color of
its fur. All vanaras have long, prehensile tails and handlike feet capable
of well-articulated movements. A vanara stands slightly shorter and weighs
slightly less than a typical human.
ALTERNATE RACIAL TRAITS
The following racial traits may be selected instead of existing vanara racial
traits. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Acrobatic: Vanaras are often extraordinarily agile, capable of dancing around slower-moving humans with playful grace. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics and Escape Artist checks. This racial trait replaces nimble.
- Change Size (Su):One vanara in every 500 is gifted with limited shapeshifting ability. Such a creature can adjust her size at will. She gains the change shape ability and the shapeshifter subtype. Instead of changing appearance, she can use change shape to reduce her size category to Small. Her ability scores don't change, only her size (and thus her weapon damage); normal size penalties and bonuses to AC and CMD and on attack and skill rolls apply. Changing size or returning to her true size is a full-round action. This racial trait alters the vanara's type and replaces nimble.
- Risky TroublemakerInner Sea Races: Vanara families who seek to emulate the Monkey King teach their members that unexpected opportunities are worth taking great risks. These vanaras can choose to roll twice on Use Magic Device checks. If they do, they take the higher result unless either die roll is a natural 1, in which case the check automatically fails. This racial trait replaces prehensile tail.
- Tree Stranger: Some vanaras have spent their lives among humans in centers of learning instead of traditional treetop homes. These vanaras treat all Knowledge skills as class skills, but lose their climb speed racial trait.
- Whitecape: The rare whitecape vanara clans have more in common with savanna-dwelling baboons than the jungle-dwelling monkeys that most vanaras resemble. Their stooping build grants them a +4 racial bonus to CMD when resisting a bull rush or trip. These vanaras usually have a thick mane of hair on the head and shoulders (called a 'cape') and shorter tails. This racial trait replaces prehensile tail.
FAVORED CLASS OPTIONS
The following options are available to all vanaras who have the listed favored
class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the
favored class reward.
- Alchemist: Add +1/2 to the alchemist's bomb damage.
- Arcanist: Add 1/4 to the arcanist's effective class level when determining the effects of any two arcanist exploits that the arcanist has.
- Bard: Add 1/2 to the bard's bardic Knowledge bonus.
- Brawler: Gain 1/5 of a new Fleet feat.
- Cavalier: Add 1/2 to the cavalier's level when determining the duration of the tactician ability.
- Druid: Add a +1/2 bonus on wild empathy checks and a +1/2 bonus
on Handle Animal skill checks.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter's CMD when resisting a reposition or trip attempt.
- Hunter: Add 1 minute to the number of minutes per day that the hunter can use animal focus.
- Kineticist: Add 1/3 to the total number of points of burn that the kineticist can accept before she can't choose to accept additional points of burn.
- Monk: Add a +1 bonus on Acrobatics checks made to jump.
- Occultist: Gain 1/6 of a new focus power.
- Psychic: When casting psychic divination spells, the psychic adds 1/2 to the effective caster level of the spell, but only to determine the spell's range and its d% chance to provide correct or meaningful information (such as with augury or divination).
- Ranger: Add +1/4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against the ranger's
- Rogue: The rogue gains 1/6 of a new rogue talent.
- Shaman: Add one spell from the cleric spell list that isn't on the shaman spell list to the list of spells the shaman knows. This spell must be at least 1 level below the highest level the shaman can cast.
- Summoner: Add 1/4 to the eidolon's evolution pool.
- Witch: Add 1/4 to the witch's caster level when determining the effects of spells granted to her by her patron (to a maximum of +2).
- Wizard: Gain 1/6 of a bonus feat. This feat must be an item creation feat, a metamagic feat, or Spell Mastery.
The following racial archetype is available to vanaras.
Vanaras are known to use equipment crafted from the following material.
Vanara woodworkers craft this extremely flexible material in a time-consuming process. Whipwood is actually a composite of several bendable wooden fibers woven and fused together to form a flexible but sturdy unit. Only wooden weapons or weapons with wooden hafts (such as axes and spears) can be made out of whipwood. A creature wielding a whipwood weapon treats its CMD as +2 higher for the purpose of avoiding sunder attempts against that weapon. A whipwood weapon's hit points increase by +5. Whipwood loses its special qualities if under the effect of an ironwood spell.
Type of Whipwood Item Cost Modifier
Wooden or wood-hafted weapon +500 gp
Vanaras have access to the following feat.
Vanara Magic Items
Vanaras have access to the following magic items.
Vanaras have access to the following spell.