Gathlains (12 RP)
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma: Gathlains are quick, with dynamic and engaging personalities, but are rather fragile.
- Small: Gathlains are Small and gain a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a -1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to CMD, a +2 bonus on Fly checks, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Normal Speed: Gathlains have a base speed of 30 feet and a fly speed of 40 feet (poor).
- Low-Light Vision: Gathlains can see twice as far as humans in dim light.
- Natural Armor: Gathlains have a +1 natural armor bonus.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—entangle,
feather step (caster level equals the gathlain's character level).
- Languages: Gathlains speak Common and Sylvan. A gathlain with a high Intelligence score can choose from the following languages: Draconic, Elven, Goblin, Halfling, and Orc.
According to some fey ballads, gathlains were one of the first peoples awakened in the primal world of fey. They were created from the seeds of an enormous magical tree, with the tree's mistletoe grown into their flesh forming their strange wings.
Mischievous and capricious, these creatures have discordant temperaments. They act purely to entertain themselves and sate their immense curiosity about the world around them. That very curiosity has caused many to migrate to the Material Plane and adventure there. These gathlains seek out and attempt to mingle with gnomes. However, gnomes often find gathlains too undisciplined, random, and foolish for their tastes.
These strange fey creatures have a symbiotic relationship with an ivy-like plant that serves as their wings. The relationship is so close, it is impossible to separate fey from plant. Gathlains are sometimes helpful, often mischievous, and native to deep primeval forests and jungles, but are also prone to wanderlust and adventuring.
ALTERNATE RACIAL TRAITS
The following racial traits can be selected instead of typical gathlain racial traits. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Body ThornsLegacy of the First World: Gathlains that mature in particularly hostile environments develop thorns on their vines to protect them from overeager herbivores. A gathlain with this racial trait is considered to be wearing masterwork armor spikes when not wearing armor or bulky clothing, and it is proficient with armor spikes. These thorns can be sundered or destroyed as if they were a worn object (hardness 1, 5 hp), but grow back 1 week later. This racial trait replaces the spell-like abilities racial trait.
- Bower BornLegacy of the First World: Some gathlain seeds find their way to the Hanging Bower, the realm of the alluring Eldest known as the Green Mother. Gathlains grown in the Hanging Bower sprout beautiful but delicate hibiscus flowers on their vines and emit a seductive pheromone. Gathlains with this trait gain a +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Handle Animal checks. This racial trait replaces natural armor.
- Nimbus of VitalityInner Sea Races: Gathlains sometimes retain a powerful connection to the First World, which allows them to channel life-giving energy. As a standard action once per day, they can surround themselves in an aura that affects them as faerie fire and grants fast healing 2. The nimbus lasts for 3 rounds plus 1 additional round per 2 character levels the gathlain possesses. This racial trait replaces the spell-like ability racial trait.
- Photosynthetic VisionLegacy of the First World: Occasionally the tendrils of a gathlain's symbiotic vines wrap around the gathlain's face like a leafy mask. The vines supplement the gathlain's vision with photosynthetic receptors. Gathlains with this racial trait gain a +2 racial bonus on Perception checks. Photosynthetic vision replaces low-light vision.
- Sticky TendrilsLegacy of the First World: When a gathlain seed finds itself taking root in an environment that warps and changes erratically, the resulting gathlain learns to cling tenaciously with its vines. The gathlain can cling to walls and even ceilings as long as the surface has handholds, and it is treated as being constantly under the effects of a nonmagical spider climb spell (except that the gathlain may not cling to smooth surfaces). The gathlain's vines provide only the ability to glide rather than true flight; the gathlain takes no damage from falling, as if subject to a constant nonmagical feather fall spell. While in midair, a gathlain can move up to 5 feet horizontally for every 1 foot it falls, at a speed of 60 feet per round. The gathlain cannot gain height with its wings, but instead coasts in other directions as it falls. If subjected to strong winds or any other effect that causes it to rise, the gathlain can take advantage of this updraft to increase the distance it can glide. This racial trait replaces the gathlain's fly speed.
- Symbiotic ImbalanceLegacy of the First World: Occasionally the conditions for a gathlain seed's growth heavily favor the plant portion of its body, causing more nutrients to go to the building of its vine wings and fewer to developing the gathlain's legs. These gathlains have larger wings than normal. They have a base speed of 20 feet and a fly speed of 40 feet (average). This racial trait alters the gathlain's speeds.
FAVORED CLASS OPTIONS
The following options are available to all gathlains who have the listed favored class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the favored class reward.
- Alchemist: Add 10 minutes to the duration of the alchemist's mutagens.
- Bard: Add a +1/2 bonus on the bard's Perform (comedy) checks.
- Investigator: Add a +1/3 bonus on inspiration rolls applied to Bluff and Knowledge checks.
- Kineticist: Increase the amount of burn cost reduction when using the kineticist's gather power ability by 1/6 point (the minimum burn cost of 0 still applies).
- Mesmerist: Increase the number of mesmerist tricks the mesmerist can use per day by one-third.
- Oracle: Add one spell known that is an enchantment spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the oracle can cast. That spell is treated as one level higher unless it is also on the oracle spell list.
- Rogue: Add a +1/2 bonus on Stealth checks while in forests and swamps.
- Sorcerer: Choose a bloodline power from the fey or verdant bloodlines that the sorcerer can use. The sorcerer treats her class level as though it were 1/2 higher (to a maximum of +4) when determining the effects of that power.