- +2 Strength, +4 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma: Duergar tyrants are strong, hardy, and willful. These ability score modifiers replace the standard duergar ability score modifiers.
- Telekinetic Adept: A duergar tyrant has access to the basic telekinesis, kinetic form, telekinetic finesse, telekinetic haul, and telekinetic invisibility kineticist wild talents with an effective kineticist level equal to her total character level.
- Psychic Magic: Duergar tyrants can cast ironskin (2 PE) and mind thrust I (1 PE) as per the psychic magic universal monster rule. The caster level is equal to the duergar tyrant's total character level. Duergar tyrants have a reservoir of 5 PE per day.
- Psychic Resilience (Ex) Duergar tyrants' racial bonus against spells and spell-like abilities increases from +1 to +4 on saving throws against psychic spells and spell-like abilities.
- Spell Resistance: A duergar tyrant has spell resistance equal to 11 + her character level.
- Medium: Duergar are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Dwarf: Duergar are humanoids with the dwarf subtype.
- Slow and Steady: Duergar have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
- Superior Darkvision: Duergar can see in the dark up to 120 feet.
- Duergar Immunities: Duergar are immune to paralysis, phantasms, and poison. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saves against spells and spell-like abilities.
- Stability: Duergar receive a +4 racial bonus to their CMD against bull rush or trip attempts while on solid ground.
- Light Sensitivity: Duergar are dazzled in areas of bright light.
- Languages: Duergar begin play speaking Common, Dwarven, and Undercommon. Duergar with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aklo, Draconic, Giant, Goblin, Orc, and Terran.
Random Starting Age
Random Starting Height & Weight
||3 ft. 9 in.
||3 ft. 7 in.
Duergar dwell in subterranean caverns far from the touch of light. They detest
all races living beneath the sun, but that hatred pales beside their loathing
of their surface-dwarf cousins. Dwarves and duergar once were one race, but
the dwarves left the deeps for their mountain strongholds. Duergar still consider
themselves the only true dwarves, and the rightful heirs of all beneath the
world's surface. In appearance, duergar resemble gray-skinned dwarves, bearded
but bald, with cold, lightless eyes. They favor taking captives in battle over
wanton slaughter, save for surface dwarves, who are slain without hesitation.
Duergar view life as ceaseless toil ended only by death. Though few can be
described as anything other than vile and cruel, duergar still value honor
and rarely break their word.
ALTERNATE RACIAL TRAITS
The following racial traits may be selected instead of existing duergar racial
traits. Consult your GM before selecting any of these new options.
- Blood Enmity: Duergar have long warred against their dwarven cousins and the hated drow. Duergar with this racial trait receive a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the dwarf or elf subtypes. This racial trait replaces the invisibility spell-like ability.
- Daysighted: The cruel light of the sun harms some duergar less than others. Such duergar lack the light sensitivity racial trait, but have darkvision of only 60 feet.
- Deep Magic: Duergar spellcasters labor long to overcome the inborn spell resistance held by so many of their underground foes. Duergar with this racial trait receive a +2 racial bonus on caster level checks made to overcome spell resistance and a +2 racial bonus on dispel checks. This racial trait replaces the enlarge person and invisibility spell-like abilities.
- Dwarf Traits: Duergar can select any dwarf racial trait that replaces stability. They can select dwarf racial traits that replace the hardy dwarf racial trait by giving up duergar immunities instead.
- IronskinnedMonster Codex: The soul of the earth infuses some duergar, giving them the ability to harden their skin. Duergar with this racial trait can use ironskin once per day as a spell-like ability, using their character level as their caster level. This racial trait replaces the
enlarge person spell-like ability.
- Magical TaskmasterInner Sea Races: Some duergar demonstrate magic of a more insidious kind than the rest of their kin, a difference that is often taken to be a sign of Droskar's blessing. They can use charm person once per day as a spell-like ability. The save DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 duergar's Hit Dice + duergar's Wisdom modifier. This racial trait replaces the invisibility spell-like ability racial trait.
- Twilight-TouchedMonster Codex: While most duergar have the power to become invisible, a few are instead able to extinguish the light around them. Duergar with this racial trait can use dust of twilight once per day as a spell-like ability, using their character level as their caster level. This racial trait replaces the invisibility spell-like ability.
FAVORED CLASS OPTIONS
The following options are available to all duergar who have the listed favored
class, and unless otherwise stated, the bonus applies each time you select the
favored class reward.
- Cleric: Add a +1/2 bonus on checks made to craft magic items.
- Fighter: Add +1 to the fighter's CMD when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt.
- Inquisitor: Add +1/6 to the number of times per day the inquisitor can use the judgment class feature.
The following racial archetype is available to duergar.
Duergar have access to the following equipment.
Refined from rare underground crystals, this poison causes a burning headache that impedes spellcasting. If the target fails its Fortitude save, for the next minute the target must make a Concentration check with a DC equal to 10 + spell level to cast a spell, and all other concentration checks to cast spells take a -5 penalty.
Spellscorch injury 14 — 1/rd. for 4 rds. see text 1 save 200 gp
Duergar have access to the following feats.