How Combat Works
Combat is cyclical; everybody acts in turn in a regular cycle of rounds. Combat follows this sequence:
- When combat begins, all combatants roll initiative. Each combatant starts out flat-footed. Once a combatant acts, he or she is no longer flat-footed.
- Determine which characters are aware of their opponents. These characters can act during a surprise round. If all the characters are aware of their opponents, proceed with normal rounds. See surprise for more information.
- After the surprise round (if any), all combatants are ready to begin the first normal round of combat.
- Combatants act in initiative order (highest to lowest).
- When everyone has had a turn, the next round begins with the combatant with the highest initiative, and steps 3 and 4 repeat until combat ends.